Friday, November 03, 2006

Arborration



ab‧er‧ra‧tion  [ab-uh-rey-shuhn]
noun
1. the act of departing from the right, normal, or usual course.

arb‧or‧ra‧tion  [arb-oh-rey-shuhn]
noun
1. the tree in the front yard

I'm not quite sure what to think about that tree.

That's a Bradford Pear, and we have four of them scattered over the front yard (also some holly bushes...I won't make that mistake again...but the pear trees? I'm very fond of the pear trees). This being central Texas, "Fall Colors" are not exactly something you travel 1000 miles to see, but every now and then, a tree surprises you.

Every other Bradford Pear in the yard is still brilliantly green, and if past years are any indication we can expect bright orange and red leaves just in time for the New Year's Eve celebration. For some inexplicable reason, though, this one tree has decided to buck the system. I might consider that it was thinking about dying (it's been a very hot and dry summer) but for the fact that 3 weeks ago, it startled me with springlike blossoms. Not many, but just enough to remind me that I do know what Spring looks like. I seem to have a tree with whacked out hormones, at the least.

I'm intrigued by this tree. It reminds me very much of all three of my children. None of them has ever cared much for what the other trees are doing. They have always marched to their own drummers, followed their own stars, and their leaves have always turned red and orange on their own schedules. When they decided the time was right, no other leaves shone brighter.

I'd like to think that they saw that trait in their parents and considered it good. I know I admire it greatly in them.

No comments: